Thursday, January 4, 2007

Why I Hate January

January used to be one of my favorite months of the year. I have no idea why, it's so cold and dim, but I guess I used to like the promise of a New Year. Oh, and the first week would be the last week of my winter break, so I would be working a lot. In high school I worked as a file clerk/inventory clerk at a car dealership in my city. I started off at $7.50/hr and three years later when I quit to go off to college, I made $10.50/hr. As you can imagine, that is not a job I wanted to leave.

So in high school I would start off my year with plenty of money. Now, I start of my year penniless.
I have the typical college job, working in my dorm cafeteria. I make $7.19/hr, which, is not bad considering what I'm doing. However, the way our pay works, I do not make a dime in the month of January. Since my break stretched from December 11th to January 8th when I go back to work, I received my last paycheck last week, and I won't get another for four weeks.

Last year it didn't matter at all, since I just whipped out my credit card and charged everything. This year I really don't want to have to do that. I have some money saved up, and it really helped that I spent most of this break in bed.

You see, I had surgery on December 12th, so I didn't spend the money I normally would have in going out with my friends, eating out (or anything), or on gas. That will help a lot, but darn it, January sucks financially!

No comments: